Learn How Periodized Nutrition Planning
Can Improve Your Athletic Performance
What is Periodized Nutrition?
The use of multiple nutrition strategies to enhance every aspect of your workout and training regimen with a focus on your overall goals for performance and competition. As training levels, workload, and body composition goals change...your nutrition plan needs to change too. Periodized nutrition focuses on adjusting your eating plan alongside your training plan to get you to your fittest when it's most important.
Why use Periodized Nutrition?
Olympic training centers all over the world are using periodized nutrition for their athletes. It is recognized that there is no single nutrition strategy that works well for an athlete. A combination of strategies need to be used to enhance training and recovery, alter body composition, keep you healthy during training and race season, and improve metabolic function.
What strategies might be used with a Periodized Nutrition approach?
We may implement a combination of:
- "training low" (low glycogen stores, low carbohydrate availability)
- "training high" (full glycogen stores, adequate carbohydrate availability)
- calculated nutrition goals to aid with "leaning out" if needed prior to competition
- possible use of sport nutrition supplements: beet root, beta-alanine, caffeine, carbohydrate, electrolytes, and creatine
- adjustment of protein, carbohydrate and calorie needs to match physical demands
- enhancement of immune-supportive foods during heavy workload periods and prior to competition phase
- recovery nutrition to minimize muscle damage and fatigue
Check out our Fueling for Sport Plans to learn more about how we can help you implement periodized nutrition into your training plan and take your athletic performance to the next level!